Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Back in Solomon's

Greetings from Solomon's (again). It has been a couple of days, so I thought I would send some updates.

Deltaville was an OK little town. We went into town to watch the town parade. The highlight of the parade was the Shriners. They put on quite a spectacle on Harley's and in little go karts. It was pretty funny to watch. Afterwards, the club had a large cookout back at the marina and we watched the local fireworks.

The next morning, we awoke to overcast skies and the prediction of rain. We made our way out of the creek. We had a few more porpoise come out to play as we were leaving. As soon as we got to open water, the rain began. It wasn't much, just a good steady rain that lasted all day long. Oh well. We went to Mills Creek just north of Deltaville. It was a beautiful anchorage and we had a nice evening.

After Mills Creek, it was up to the Cone River. This was a second night at anchor. It was another beautiful creek that was wide open. So we rafted all of the boats together and had a fun evening. We did a little bit of swimming, but there were still some jellies in the water. So it was a real fast swim.

After Cone River, it was off to Solomon's again. We motored the whole way. We realized on the way that the engine wasn't charging the batteries. (These things always seem to happen when I'm at the wheel.) So we kept on motoring for fear of turning of the engine and not having the battery power to start it again.

We came across Patuxent Naval Air Station. We saw a bunch of really neat stuff flying in and out. In particular, we saw an Osprey flying. If you have never seen one of those, they are really cool. It's one of those planes that can turn their props up and take off vertically. Then they rotate the props down and fly like a plane. Very cool!

So last night was the Styx concert. I didn't go, but you could hear the concert perfectly at the marina. Sounds like it was a good concert. They did "Come Sail Away" as their last song. Very appropriate, I thought.

Today, the mechanic came early to check things out. It turns out, the alternator was busted and wasn't creating any juice. Aren't boats wonderful?!?

After some breakfast, it was time to head rent some bikes and head to the stores for provisions. With the boat stocked up for a few more days, we decided to do some exploring. We took the bikes and saw a neat garden area. We then visited the Solomon's Island Winery for a tasting and to purchase some bottles for home. (We definitely need to come back here.)

Anyway, it's late afternoon and time for a swim in the pool. Tonight we have another club cookout and tomorrow we head North to Herrington Harbor South marina for two nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment